Wednesday 16 March 2011

ERP App Store

This is an excellent post from Jiju Vengal. It is a great idea, but (there's always a but)-

At the back of my mind I seem to recall that there is something in the licence agreement for PeopleSoft that precludes this kind of thing if the widget/app is written using PeopleSoft - but I may well be wrong about that.

I wonder if the march of SaaS (of which Salesforce.com is a leader) may overtake all of the ERP systems we currently know and (occasionally) love, thereby rendering it obsolete.

I don't pretend to be able to see the future but I suspect the arguments for SaaS HR systems may soon become so compelling that there will be a major shift of customers in this direction.

2 comments:

  1. Many of the applications that have moved to the cloud are those that are easier to shift - like CRM - so SalesForce.com has been able to make good gains. Not many people are moving core Financial, Payroll or HR systems to the SaaS model yet.

    I would have thought PeopleSoft running in the cloud (it'd have to be Amazon EC2 as that's the only cloud Oracle currently support) would be able to take advantage of all of the benefits of SaaS with the exception of multi-tennancy, and I remain unconvinced that large corporates would want to share they HR/Payroll/Finance database with other companies anyway.

    ReplyDelete